“Alexandra Oomens luminous soprano stood out, soaring above the voices of her colleagues.”
London based Australian soprano Alexandra is a recently appointed Harwood Artist with English National opera. She is a graduate of the Royal Academy Opera Programme at the Royal Academy of Music, and is an alumna of the Georg Solti Accademia. Alexandra is represented by Nicholas Maw, Rayfield Allied.
In May 2021 Alexandra will perform the titular role of Dafne in Cavalli’s Gli amori d’Apollo e di Dafne with Pinchgut Opera in Australia. Earlier this year Alexandra performed with L’Orchestre de Chamber de Geneve as Laurette in a televised semi-staged production of Bizet’s Le Docteur Miracle. Just prior to COVID-19 cancellations Alexandra performed the role of Barbarina with Opera North in their production of The Marriage of Figaro.
Further operatic performances include Zerlina – Don Giovanni (Mozart, Clonter Opera), The Vixen – Cunning Little Vixen (Janàček, Royal Academy Opera), Semele – Semele (Handel, RAO), La Princess and La Chauve-Souris – L’Enfant et les sortileges (Ravel, RAO), Laurette – Le Docteur Miracle (Bizet, RAO), Tina – Flight (Dove, RAO), Cupidon – Orphée Aux Enfers (Offenbach, RAO), Damigella – L’Incoronazione di Poppea (Monteverdi, RAO), Clizia – Teseo (Handel, London Handel Festival), Isabelle – L’Amant Jaloux (Gretry, Pinchgut Opera), Lisel – The Chimney Sweep (Salieri, Pinchgut Opera), Alinda – Giasone (Cavalli, Pinchgut Opera), Childerico – Faramondo (Handel, Pinchgut Opera/Brisbane Baroque), and 2nd Lady and 1st Witch – Dido & Aeneas, (Purcell, Pinchgut Opera/Brisbane Baroque).
Alexandra has performed as a soloist with the Australian Chamber Orchestra, Netherlands Radio Symphony Orchestra, Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Eroica Ensemble, and the Orchestra of the Antipodes. In recital she has performed in such works as Bach’s Easter Oratorio, and Telemann’s Die Donner Ode (Pinchgut Opera), Exsultate Jubilate (Amersham Festival of Music), Jauchzet Gott in Allen Landen and Coffee Cantata (Canberra International Music Festival), Bach’s B Minor Mass (Song Company), and Vivaldi’s Gloria (Gondwana Choirs). Alexandra is an alumna of the Georg Solti Accademia, where she worked with Meastro Alessandro Corbelli, Barbara Frittoli, and Sir Richard Bonynge.
Alexandra has performed in various recitals and concerts with the Australian Chamber Orchestra, Netherlands Radio Symphony Orchestra, Pinchgut Opera, Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Eroica Ensemble, and the Orchestra of the Antipodes. in such venues as the London Coliseum, the Concertgebouw, the Sydney Opera House, the Melbourne Recital Hall, and the City Recital Hall.
Alexandra holds an Advanced Diploma of Opera, a Masters of Arts (Hons), and an Honorary DipRAM for outstanding performance (Royal Academy of Music), and a BMus (Hons.) from the Conservatorium of Music, University of Sydney. During her time at the RAM Alexandra was a RAM/Kohn Foundation Bach Cantata soloist, the winner of the 2018 Michael Head Song Prize, and a member of the prestigious Royal Academy Song Circle. Alexandra is extremely grateful for the generosity and sponsorship of the Carr-Gregory Trust Scholarship, and John Baker Opera Award during her time in RAO.
Alexandra has completed intensive language studies in Florence and Paris, as well as language training at Alliance Francaise, the Dante Alighieri Institute and Goethe Institute. Alexandra has also undertaken stage and film courses at the Actors Centre Australia.
Thank you to James Robinson (Web Developer), Sarah Mangion (Graphic Designer – Studio Work), and Julie Ewing (Photography) for the design and content for this website.
- Dafne / AuroraGli Amori d’Apollo e di DafneCavalliPinchgut Opera, Mitchell Butel2021
- JosephineH.M.S. PinaforeGilbert & SullivanEnglish National Opera2021
- Pepik / WoodpeckerThe Cunning Little VixenJanàčekEnglish National Opera2022
- Vixen (cover)The Cunning Little VixenJanàčekEnglish National Opera2022
- Despina (cover)English National OperaMozartEnglish National Opera2022
- LauretteLe Docteur MiracleBizetL’Orchestre de Chambre de Geneve, Stuart Patterson2021
- BarbarinaThe Marriage of FigaroMozartOpera North, Jo Davies2020
- ZerlinaDon GiovanniMozartClonter Opera, Martin Lloyd-Evans2019
- VixenThe Cunning Little VixenJanàčekRoyal Academy of Music, Ashley Dean2019
- La Princesse / La Chauve-SourisL’Enfant et les sortilègesRavelRoyal Academy of Music, Oliver Platt2019
- SemeleSemeleHandelRoyal Academy of Music, Olivia Fuchs2018
- LauretteLe Docteur MiracleBizetRoyal Academy of Music, Ashley Dean2018
- CliziaTeseoHandelLondon Handel Festival2018
- TinaFlightDoveRoyal Academy of Music, Martin Duncan2018
- Despina (core role)Cosí fan tutteMozartRoyal Academy of Music2018
- CupidonOrphée aux enfersOffenbachRoyal Academy of Music, Martin Duncan2018
- DamigellaL’incoronazione di PoppeaMonteverdiRoyal Academy of Music, John Ramster2016
- IsabelleL’Amant JalouxGretryPinchgut Opera, Chas Rader-Shieber2015
- ChildericoFaramondoHandelBrisbane Baroque, Paul Curran2015
- 2nd Lady / 1st WitchDido & AeneasPurcellBrisbane Baroque2015
- LiselThe Chimney SweepSalieriPinchgut Opera, Mark Gaal2014
- AlindaGiasoneCavalliPinchgut Opera, Chas Rader-Shieber2013